Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We have a new... President?

Yes, we were a bit disappointed last night about the outcome of the election.  I mean I just can't picture Obama as our President.  Of the whole country.  For four years.  Or more...??

But to tell you the truth, I couldn't really picture McCain as president either.  More so than Obama for sure, but neither really seem authoritative enough to run our great country.  We will sure see in the months and years to come how things turn out.  

On a happier note, I am extremely glad that Prop 102 passed, in fact I am pretty pleased with how most of the propositions turned out. I'm glad Arizonans saw through the guise of sneakiness claiming to benefit the whole, like Prop 200 and Prop 202.  Thank goodness!

*I would love to hear all of your thoughts on the elections as well!*

We are so blessed that we live in a country where change is possible and our voices matter.  I pray that we will continue to be as vigilantly involved in what is happening in our country as we are at election time (especially me!)!


I wanted to share a wonderful quote on patriotism that I came across as I was preparing FHE last night...


“Patriotism is more than flag-waving and fireworks. It is how we respond to public issues. If we ask only, ‘What’s in this proposal for me?—What do I get out of it?’—we are not patriotic and we are not good citizens. But if we ask, ‘Is this right?—is it good for the … people?—would it preserve and strengthen our freedom?’—then we deserve to stand in the company of [great patriots]. Patriotism is trying always to give more to the Nation than we receive. It is selfless service”
-Ezra Taft Benson, The Red Carpet [Bookcraft, 1962].

7 comments:

debra said...

I couldnt agree more - Im completely frightened to have Obama as pres. (I think he has a shady past, I dont agree with many many many issues he believes in, and I dont like that the pres of the USA wont wear a flag, or put his hand on his heart.) but there's nothing else I can do about it...I voted! And I am exctited about prop 102, and prop 8for Ca (I didnt think they would pull that off!) Im sad to see them picketing outside of the temple though.

Your Halloween party looked like a blast - glad you had fun!

Eliza said...

Hi Kara, sounds like you've had a busy, fun few weeks. I was beginning to think you'd fallen off the face of the earth...What a fun Halloween you had, wish we could've been there...As for the elections, yes this will be an interesting time in our lives, I am starting to get nervous but I'm trying to just focus on my family. I'm glad AZ and CA passed those props it makes me feel like there are still a lot of people out there who feel as strongly as we do about marriage and the sanctity of family. But I feel persecution starting to come after that picketing outside the temple. LDS people are obviously not the only ones who got that prop passed and yet they choose to take it out on us. Did you watch that talk by Pres. Benson? Pretty powerful stuff.

sasmithfam said...

I too was disappointed with the results. After the results, I told myself that I was going to keep an open mind and not pass too harsh of judgment...yet. I definitely do not believe or like alot of the things I heard about Obama. I hope he doesn't screw up our great country too much. I am also tired of everyone using Bush as a scapegoat. He is only one person and can never do anything by himself. Poor guy. I'm sure he will be grateful to be done. I am elated that the Props 102 and Calif 8 as well as Florida's passed. I have also been looking at a few articles online and reading people's comments about #8 in California especially. They cannot accept the fact of the vote and it is pretty funny to me. Marriage has already been defined, we don't need a re-definition. There has also been a few articles specifically mentioning the Mormons and that they are going to boycott Utah for their part in the campaign. LOL

Jackie J said...

I really loved the quote on patriotism - thanks for posting that Kara!

Anonymous said...

oh I hear you girl... I will bet that come next year no one will admit they voted for Obama. They will get the change they are begging for and they aren't going to want it. oh well...
ps. hey I am here :)

Rachel said...

What an excellent quote by President Benson. This election year was wild. I agree--we'll just see what is to come. Hopefully mostly good things. Congrats on the measures being passed that you supported!

Mandy said...

Hi Kara,
Ya, I kind of feel like the end of the world has to start somewhere . . . might as well be with Obama! :-) Actually, I really hope that we are all wrong about him, just because I am not ready for the chaos! What were the AZ props? Not being there, I don't know them anymore!! I was happy about prop 8, but it is driving me cRaZy that everyone who is made about it is mad at the LDS church . . . arg. what are you gunna do?