Saturday, May 10, 2008
Martha
We have an old friend we like to visit named Martha, I met her when Cameron was a little toddler running around in Relief Society before he was in the nursery. She became fast friends with Cameron as she would always have something to distract him with and keep me sane! Ever since then, she's been like a great grandma for my kids. She calls me often to see how the kids are doing, and whats new in their lives. Since Cameron was tiny she has adored him like he was one of her own, and when Maddy came around she was the same way... and on and on with each of my kids. Before Mia was born she decided to make me several blankets with intriacate crocheting on the edges, which each took several hours, I am sure!! I finally took Mia to meet her for the first time the other day, and I was so happy that Mia was so smiley and sweet to her that day. Every time we go see "Sister Taylor," as the kids call her, I think it will be the last time we see her as she is about 93 years old! She is one of the most beautiful, proper, and well put together women I have known. And always thinking of others. But the thing I admire about her most is her attitude. As she has gotten older, her health has deteriorated, and the slump in her back has slowly gotten more and more apparent. But she still walks her mile every day, around her house. Her wonderfully involved kids and grandkids came up with a system for her to walk around her house a certain amount of times, so many times a day, that it would be a whole mile. Her goal was to keep from being totally immobile and increase the straightness of her back. I don't know how much it has helped, she has gotten especially slumped in the last year, and now uses a walker quite often, but she never complains. In fact, she rarely even talks about her concerns about those things, but mostly just the happy things in her life. I have grown to really love her and appreciate her love for me and my children over the years. I will miss her when she is gone!
Sitting with the kids
Spending time with Mia
This was the first picture I took after she got Mia.. she was just adoring her!
Just the girls
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That is great that you had an "instant friend" that has been around for so long! She sounds amazing, and I know that I am inspired by her. Thanks for sharing!
thanks for sharing that, kara. sister taylor sounds wonderful. being in singles wards so long, i have missed interacting with the elderly (not to mention the children)...
Great story, Kara. These blogs are perfect to capture touching moments and great memories.
What a blessing on so many levels to have a friend like this. It is also a great experience for the kids to learn to appreciate the charity shown from such an individual.
Hi Kara, I love your story. Your kids are adorable! I'm so glad that Gage and Isaac have been in the same class and gotten to know eachother. I think it would be great to get them together, Gage is always talking about Isaac and he tells me all the time that he wants his to come over and play. Lets plan it. =)Tasha
awe, thats adorable
Post a Comment