Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Friday the 13th Surprise


Our lives are always full of surprises, but this one was actually planned.  We had a surprise birthday party for Madison on Friday, Feb 13th... the day before Valentines.  She had no idea about it, thank goodness, even though I opened my big mouth a few times when I shouldn't have. We did a Valentine's theme, every thing pink and red, hearts all over the walls, fun Valentine activities.  But the best part of course was when Madison walked in the door... she saw all the decorations, and said, wow, it looks so pretty, and then all her friends popped out.... SURPRISE!!  They had practiced a few times so they did a great job.  She looked a little stunned to say the least.... I think it took her a minute to realize this was a surprise party... for her... for her birthday.  But once she did she was so excited!!  The highlight of the evening was definitely the chocolate fountain.  We had all kinds of things to dip... cookies, marshmallows, graham crackers, apples, bananas, and of course plenty of strawberries!  All the girls were covered in chocolate by the end of the evening.  Sorry moms and dads!  We also did cheese fondue with different kinds of breads and veggies.  And pizza to top it all off.  We played a few fun games, did manicures on all the girls, had yummy cupcakes and Maddy opened all her many presents.  I think the girls' favorite thing to do, besides eating chocolate and strawberries, was jumping on the trampoline.  I was a little nervous when all 15 girls, plus Isaac were on the trampoline together, but luckily the trampoline and all the girls were all still in one piece at the end of the evening.  Thanks to everyone who helped out (Ella, Amy, Michelle, and Dayna), and thanks to Jared and Carol for helping pull off the surprise!  And of course thanks for all the so fun presents for Maddy!  She was in heaven that night!









9 comments:

The Woody's Fam said...

Thanks for the post and not being mad at the constant nudging. I love it. You are way to brave, we bought a chocolate fountain for James' first b-day (we had 50 relatives there) and I will never use it around kids inside a house again. I found chocolate in the most random places days later from all the cousins and I was so mad. Only because I have a brother in-law that just lets his 8 kids roam and he never watch them with the chocolate fountain. You are such a good Mom!!!! Looks like Madison had a blast.

taryn said...

how fun! what great parents madison has! that sounds like a dream come true for a little girl AND all of her friends.

Carol said...

bout time girl! Emma had a great time, thanks for inviting her. The girls all look so happy and the food looks so yummy :) Way to go.

Mandy said...

That looks like it was a FUN party!! Happy Birthday Madison! :) What a fun idea! I can't wait to have my girls' first surprise party, but who knows when that will be! :)

Ella said...

The chocolate fountain was a blast and totally worth a little messiness. The girls did a pretty good job keeping the chocolate where it belonged... in their mouths! Well... at least I didn't notice it all over the place. :) Kara, you are awesome. Everything turned out great!

one love. <3 said...

that looks like it was so much fun, what a lucky girl!!

Karen said...

Awesome...that sounds like one AMAZING party. I wish I had parents like you when I was growing up! :)

Eliza said...

How fun!!! I can't believe how much these girls are growing up! Did she get baptized already? I can't believe you've had a post on here for a few weeks and I haven't even seen it, sorry:(

sasmithfam said...

It looks like the party was fabulous! I love surprises and can't wait to have one for one of my kiddos. I'm sure it was a fun party, the Slys just know how to throw parties. :)