Since I decided to make my blog private, I have gotten many inquiries as to why. Like many of you, I too hate when I go to view someones blog from someone else's blog, whether it be an old friend or just someone I kinda know, and its private! But I was talking to my sister in law Amy the other day and she gave me some things to think about that led me to make my information a little more secure. She had a lesson in church last Sunday about technology and safeguarding our families from harm. I think blogs, email, the internet are wonderful ways of communicating, but they also leave us open to vulnerability from crazy people who's whole goal is the promotion of evil. Specifically, she was telling me how some of these people have found a way to leave messages on your blog that contain a hyperlink that can lead you to a seemingly harmless website that, without you knowing can steal some of your information, such as your blogger name and password. I can't remember what else she said people can do, but it made me nervous... that coupled with the idea of some creepy stranger reading all about me and my kids and the things we do... I'm sure it doesn't happen often if ever, but you never know! And the fact that the leaders in the church decided this was an important enough subject to teach in a combined Releif Society/ Priesthood meeting, made me feel like it was pretty important.
I've contemplated putting an email address on my profile, for people who would like to be invited to view my blog.... probably not my regular one, but a separate one, if that will even work... we'll see! Well, I'd love to know what you all think about this... ?? :o)
9 comments:
hey Kara, this is the reason I am private too, Ive heard of too many scary stories. Krista told me about that lesson too. But I HATE when Im snooping and come upon a private blog! i do have to say though that if all your siblings (and their wives) follow suit to go private, id' be upset - cause I check on theirs too :)
Oh Great now I am going to have to go private. I hate that! I am totally scared now!
We sure miss a lot of stuff by being in primary. But then again, what do I have to worry about, I haven't got a blog?
Hi Kara! Thanks for inviting me to your blog--I promise I won't be too scary. :) It's adorable, btw! I've been scrolling back a bit & I love the back-to-school post. You have such darling children. And I can't believe how amazing you look. I only aspire to that when I have 5.
I've heard scary things about blog lurkers as well. I've contemplated going private, too. You just don't want your most precious ones out there for crazies to know about. At any rate, I'm glad we do have blogs to keep in touch (or get to know) those we love!
Wow, you have scared me. The main reason that I leave our blog open is because we have it out there for potential birth mothers to learn about our family. I am careful about not putting to much personal info on their though. Maybe after our next child is placed with us we will go private . . .we'll see!
I say you need to do what you feel is best for your family. we are not private. you can select something in your blog set up so that you cant find your blog on the internet by typing in your names so like the only way you can find mine is by finding it on my friends but you cant google me. also, i am just careful to not put too much info on there, like i will never mention what school my kids go to or something like there so a child kidnapper can track them down, ya know.
ok I'm kinda freaked out! Lot's of folks I know have gone private in the last few weeks and then yesterday some random person posted on my blog, what the ? so I'm headed that way- just haven't yet, too sick to think straight ugh!
I have to say, my wife is an amazing woman! What does this have to do with this post? Absolutely nothing. But just wanted to say how much I appreciate her efforts to chronical and dish out the 411 on our family. As for me...I'm not quite amazing as my wife. It took me 2 weeks to accept her invite to the family blog. I can be such a noob sometimes. I Love you Kara!
Thanks babe. ;o)
Post a Comment