Friday, May 14, 2010

A Mother

Eleven years ago, I became a mother for the first time. And my very first Mothers Day was on Cameron's very first birthday. Why does it seem like last year and not the 10 years ago that it was?


I can remember life with only Cameron... he being the center of the world for so many people for so long.... the only grandchild on the Jensen side and the apple of his Sly Grandparent's eye... and of course always the center of attention in our house. I remember how big a deal all of his "firsts" were.... first step, first time eating baby food, first word, first time he read a book at age 3. ;) And yet how graciously has he accepted and loved each one of his siblings as they have joined our family... I love watching how much he adores Mia and all the funny things she does. How sweet and patient he is with Ava when he's trying to help her get the little things she wants... and of course the cute voice he uses with both the little girls when he's trying to teach them something. Even though he asks every week when he can kick Isaac out of his room, I know how special Isaac really is to him... being his only brother and the one who goes along with all of his rough boy wildness. I deinitely love the sweet relationship Cameron has with Maddy... they are only 20 months apart and she's been there with Cameron though most of his life. Madison absolutely adores Cameron and would do anything for him... even when he does something mean to her, she doesn't want him to get in trouble. Just the last few years Cameron has returned that adoration with his own affection, which is so sweet to watch. I love it when he gives her a hug and tells her how much he loves her. Then seeing her face light up with absolute joy.

Happy Birthday to my sweet, cool, intelligent, compassionate, loving first born.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

Happy Birthday Cameron! Isn't it crazy how time flies and yet it doesn't really feel like it has. Sounds like he's such a great kid and big brother. We'll be in AZ for 2 weeks in July around the 11th-25th ish. I know the worst time to come but I had to wait until after girls camp so hopefully everyone won't be on vacation during that time. Let's definitely get together!

Carol said...

cameron will always be the one who sucked on jared's nose 11 years ago - gross! not cam's fault though - that was all jared's nasty doing :)

sasmithfam said...

I think WOW!-how fast time does fly! I am also reflecting on Brynlee as her bday is next week and being the first born and it is bittersweet. Can't believe it has been 11 years! I try to remind Brynlee how she was the first one and was sooo spoiled with all the attention, etc.-having to do this sometimes to offset being the oldest and having the most responsibility :)