Sunday, August 2, 2009
Sunday Madness
Does anyone else struggle with providing enjoyable sabbath day activities for their kids EVERY Sunday? I sure do. Especially since we have church at 8 am and the whooole rest of the day to find activities for the kids to do. I got an idea a few months ago from my cousin Rachel's blog called Sunday Stations, which has been really fun. Today we watched 18 chapters of the Book of Mormon stories DVD. :) But we really new some new ideas, especially so that my kids don't spend the whole day glued to the tv or trying to kill each other! I'd love to hear what some of you do on your long Sunday afternoons (besides take naps!!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I read the "Sunday Stations" article your link sent me to at LDS.org. It makes me wish I had little kids again. Have you tried this yet? What stations are you going to (did you already) use? It sounds like a lot of work initially - but like anything worthwhile, it would becomes easier as it is implemented on a regular basis. I well remember the Sunday Sabbath observance challenges with you and your siblings.
good question kara! i can't wait to see some of the answers so i can get an idea for as well! :)
Well . . . . I don't have kids but I like the thought of trying to focus the kids' energies/thoughts on serving others on the Sabbath.
I didn't have a chance to read the "Sunday Stations" article yet, but here are some of my thoughts/ideas:
Perhaps writing letters (or drawing pictures for the younger ones) to send to missionaries in your ward or in your extended family.
Maybe have each of the kids pick out one toy/doll/outfit each Sunday that they no longer play with or wear, and collect them together in one box ready to take to Deseret Industries or other thrift store during the next week. Could be a good opportunity to teach the importance of giving to those less fortunate and could easily become a regular Sunday activity.
Have fun creating a "blessings paper chain" - your Dad and I did this one time for sharing time in Primary. Cut loads of strips of paper then ask each person to tell you something they are thankful for. Write each one down on the strip of paper, curl into a circle and then staple the two ends together. Thread the next "blessing" through and keep going to accommodate all the blessings. I think you will be amazed at how many blessings your family comes up with, and when they see how crazy long that paper chain gets, they will get very excited - (or at least that was how it went in Primary for us!)
Have each child write a thank you card to the Bishop. Obviously you will have to help the younger kids but you might be surprised at the lovely things they want to say in the cards.
OK - I think this post is long enough!!!!!! Thanks for letting me share my ideas.
OH, one more - this one isn't my idea, I saw it online, but I like it:
Decorate special jars for tithing and mission funds.
Compose a Sly Sabbath Song. Chris can play guitar and each child gets to help write the lyrics, then you can all sing it together as a family :-) One rule: lyrics must be about something each of them learned at church that day.
I wouldn't get too serious about it - doesn't matter if the words don't rhyme or if one kid's lyric contribution is just one word - just have fun with it!! Just emphasize that it must relate to something they learned/did in church that day.
For added fun, go ahead and record it and send it to all your extended family. I'd LOVE to hear it :-)
If you make it a regular Sabbath activity, maybe they will also pay more attention at church because they will know that they'll need to tell you something later when they get home so you can compose your family song!!
Yeah, ok, this one might be a bit too crazy and too far out there, but you never know . . . . . . ;-)
Good to see you blogging again! Ugh, sometimes I dread Sundays! They just do not seem to be a day of rest and I am horrible about the Sunday activities. We're lucky if we watch church videos. A year or two ago the Friend had an idea to make a Sabbath day box and then throughout that year they had activities, games, stories and other suggestions for things to go in your box. So we made our box one family home evening and it is full of great stuff now I just need to pull it out...good luck with your Sundays!
I've totally been feeling the same way. I am still looking for the answers. Loa and Emi drew pictures for hours last Sunday and loved it. I know that isn't going to happen every week though... I'm off to look at the blog you posted. :)
Post a Comment