Monday, July 14, 2008

Isaac's Late Night Adventures

Well, Isaac is usually one of the first ones in bed at our house (and always the first to get up!), but not last Sunday.  He had had a cough for a few days and he was having a hard time breathing all day Sunday, even though we had been giving him breathing treatments periodically (one of those things we usually do when he gets sick, since it usually goes to his lungs). When we went to dinner that night, Chris's brother Eran and sister in law Michelle, whose son, Dallin also has asthma, said he sounded horrible, and his chest looked like he was really having a hard time breathing, so Chris and Eran decided to take him to Urgent Care.  After giving him another breathing treatment and a dose of Prednilisone (steroid for opening up the lungs), they monitored him, but his heart rate was still high, so they had to send him to the hospital to be monitored for a little while longer.  At the Urgent Care, they had given him a little beanie baby puppy, which really seemed to comfort him and help him not feel so scared.  He was a little trooper in the ambulance, as they raced him to Mercy Gilbert Hospital...  and after 2 hrs of monitoring, his oxygen intake and heart rate were back to normal and they were able to send him home!  Yay! It was hard for me as his Mommy not to be right by his side, but it was a comfort that Chris and Eran could be there for him. And even though he got to bed at about 3:30 a.m., he was still the first one up, bright eyed and bushy tailed at 8 a.m!

Isaac at the hospital with his little black puppy


the ambulance he got to ride in


Isaac in the ambulance... he looks a little less sure about things here... he had good memories afterward though. Even though he was somewhat afraid, he said the "ambulance guys" were really nice. :)

9 comments:

sasmithfam said...

I am so glad that he is ok, so does he have asthma? I thought that I would be the first to comment on this post. This is going to be such fun to stay in contact with everyone.

Mandy said...

Wow, I'm glad that he's o.k. and has some good memories of it!! He sure seems like he's a little trooper!

Kara said...

Well Isaac hasn't been officially diagnosed with asthma... they don't diagnose them at this age because it could go away as they get older... but Dr. Kronborg says he does have it.

The Woody's Fam said...

That must have been so scary for you and Chris. I am glad it all turned out well and that Isaac now has a fun memory of his adventure to the hospital.

Carol said...

wow - i had no idea. what a brave little man you have there. i would have freaked my pants - way to go kara and chris!

Karen said...

Wow, what a traumatic time! Poor Isaac, but I'm glad it was fairly short lived!

one love. <3 said...

poor guy! hope he's doing well!

Eliza said...

Glad that everything turned out OK, my kids were just asking us a few days ago if any of them had gotten to ride in an ambulance and why hadn't they. Seems they think it would be pretty fun. Actually Owen did when he was about 6 weeks old, but obviously no memories of that. I think they are jealous of Isaac!

Tina Upson said...

Oh my gosh.......I bet you were scared......so I tried calling you today about the funniest thing....(well I think it is funny) it involves Ava and Paige........call me!!